– Tornado is listed as one of Book Riot’s 100 Must-Read Books About Mental Illness.
– Thank you to Sarah Davis at PsychCentral for this review: “Chin’s prose is lush and meditative…. The complex construction of the memoir could have failed in lesser hands than those of Chin … but their ultimate synthesis is remarkably effective.”
– What an honor (and so exciting!): Oprah.com has picked Let the Tornado Come as one of their “powerful stories to pass onto a friend”: “There’s a maturity and a wisdom to this memoir, from its braided structure that gracefully threads Chin’s painful past with her present troubles, to her beautiful turns of phrase.”
– Some great questions from Horse Nation in this interview about anxiety and the healing power of horses.
– Thank you to Jeremy Townsend for this review on Books for Animal Lovers.
– I talk to NAMI about anxiety and self-compassion.
– I got to share my story with the ADAA, an excellent organization committed to helping people who struggle with anxiety and depression.
– Thanks to Holly Jacobson for this heartfelt and insightful review of Let the Tornado Come in Dressage Daily!
– Tracie Hotchner and I talk about the healing power of animals on NPR’s Dog Talk.
– Dr Pamela Brewer and I talk about fear and compassion on MyNDTALK.
– Ru Freeman asks me some brilliant questions in this Huffington Post interview.
– My in-studio interview with Sheilah Kast airs on WYPR, Maryland Morning.
– Publishers Weekly calls Let the Tornado Come “luminous . . . a haunting yet hopeful saga that shows how trauma and fear can transform themselves into enduring strength.”
– Let the Tornado Come is featured as an ELLE Readers’ Prize Pick for August.
– My NPR Interview with Meghna Chakrabarti becomes Radio Boston’s most popular story for a week.
– Let the Tornado Come makes The Boston Globe Bestsellers list!
– Alysia Abbott, author of Fairyland: A Memoir of My Father, writes a gorgeous Boston Globe review of Let the Tornado Come.
– The story of my return visit to adolescent treatment center goes out on the Associated Press wire, including The Washington Post.
– Great conversation with Marilu Henner on the Marilu Henner Show.
– Wonderful chat with Bill Kenower on Author2Author!
– Let the Tornado Come is featured in several summer reading lists, including The Boston Globe‘s Summer Reading Suggestions, Kirkus Reviews 10 True Stories Perfect for Summer Reading, Flavorwire‘s 10 Nonfiction Books That Will Make You Smarter, and WallStCheatSheet‘s 10 Noteworthy Books Being Released This Summer.
– Book Reporter calls Let the Tornado Come a “powerful debut memoir,” written “with a striking clarity of voice.”
– Marie Claire publishes an adapted excerpt of Let the Tornado Come in their June 2014 issue.
– Alex Layman features Let the Tornado Come on Kirkus Reviews.
– Kirkus Reviews calls Let the Tornado Come a “lyrical debut memoir” and a “candid, graceful testimony to remarkable resilience” in their review.
– I take the Page 99 Test.
– A fun Q&A with blogger Deborah Kalb.
– Morgtini and the big wild world reviews Let the Tornado Come: “it made me cry, laugh and sigh all in the same breath and it reminded me of the redemptive qualities of love in all of its many forms.”
– Blogger Mary Gramlich reviews Let the Tornado Come.
– Massachusetts Horse says this in their June/July issue: “The language in Let the Tornado Come is beautiful, and Rita’s lyricism alone makes the book worth reading. That it’s a memoir of perseverance, that it speaks to all of us–riders, runaways, panickers, and indeed anyone else who’s discovered that we all have the power to improve our lives–makes this a must-read.”
June 24, 2014, 7:00 p.m. — Official Release Date for LET THE TORNADO COME and launch party at Wellesley Books, Wellesley, MA!
June 25, 2014, 7:00 p.m. — Reading at Porter Square Books, Cambridge, MA
June 26, 2014, 12:00 — Author luncheon at Bank Square Books, Mystic CT
June 27, 2014, 7:00 p.m. — Reading at Jabberwocky Bookshop, Newburyport, MA
July 1, 2014, 7:00 p.m. — Reading at The Ivy Bookshop, Baltimore, MD
July 2, 2014, 2:00 p.m. — Discussion at the Jackson Unit, Cumberland, MD
July 23, 2014, 5:30 p.m. — Discussion at the Honeoye Public Library, Honeoye, NY
October 19, 2014, 2:00 p.m. — Wayland Walks: “Waking to the Present Moment”
October 26, 2014, 12:45 p.m. — Texas Book Festival: “Trauma, Tragedy, and Transformation,” Austin
November 14, 2014, 11:45 a.m. — CLMP Literary Writers Conference: Case Study of a Memoir, The New School, NYC
May 20, 2015, 6:00 p.m. — Guest speaker: Finding Structure in Memoir, Grub Street, Boston
September 11, 2015, 7:00 p.m. — Keynote speaker, Aurora Studio Art Opening, AAAC, Asheville, NC
October 27, 2015, 7:00 p.m. — Reading and talk at the Weston Public Library, Weston, MA
October 29, 2015, 7:00 p.m. — Conversation with Mira Bartók at Odyssey Bookshop, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA
April 29, 2016 — “Essentials of Dialogue,” Muse and the Marketplace, Boston
November 30, 2016 — Writers Here and Now Reading, University of Maryland
January 6, 2017 — Dire Literary Series, Out of the Blue Too Gallery, Cambridge
April 7, 2017, 7:00 p.m. — Poetry reading with Lisa Breger and others, in celebration of National Poetry Month, Roots and Wings, Natick, MA